30 October 2012

VMF 6-30: Candy fail, cookie success

The caramels looked promising, although the deep color of the molten sugar and brown rice syrup made me wonder whether they had cooked too long. No matter, as I'd followed the directions as closely as possible, cooking the sugars to what seemed a high temperature of 155C (310F). Despite having made candy before--including caramels, although not the same recipe--I wasn't about to pretend I was some sort of expert on the subject. But I trusted that the thermometer was accurate and I could follow a few, simple steps.

Perhaps I should have erred on the side of caution, because the caramels turned out not "slightly firm," but almost brittle-like; indeed, they must have heated to too high a temperature, beyond the chewy caramel stage, encroaching on teeth-breaking territory. That, in turn, ruined any chance of a successful outcome for homemade turtles (a confection composed of chocolate, toasted pecans, and caramel); no one wants to bite into chocolate only to discover that what was supposed to be a melt-in-your-mouth caramel was instead a rock-hard block of sugar.
Considering the epic failure of the candy-making venture, I persisted in salvaging what I could of the mess. (That's too much candy and chocolate for me to comfortably let go to waste.) Because I seem to be on a baking binge lately, particularly when it comes to cookies, I turned my attention toward that familiar route. Failed turtles had a date with a sharp knife, resulting in nutty candy bits fated as chocolate chip replacements in a batch of turtle cookies. I did, of course, add mini chocolate chips to the dough, just for good measure.
When all was said and done, the cookies baked up well enough: doughy, chocolaty, gooey blobs, with no trace of the mistakes they were meant to remedy. Instead of too-hard sugar, softened pockets of chewy caramel dot the cookies. The high proportion of chocolate makes the cookies quite messy, but at least they won't break any teeth.
Cookies, by the way, are especially delicious with a hot cup of black tea or coffee.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely couldn't have let all of that go to waste either, great job turning them into cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice save! The cookies turned out looking really delicious, I envy you right now. -.-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a shame, sugar is so finicky! I wouldn't have wanted to waste all that chocolate so great idea to make cookies, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those cookies look and sound awesome! You can definitely never have too much chocolate even if they are messy to eat :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)