08 October 2012

VMF 6-8: My kind of salad

Over the weekend, the beau and I attended his coworker-friend's housewarming--a small, low-key gathering that was so befitting the cute, rustic, cozy house that was its setting. I offered to assemble the dish we would bring to the party: rice, quinoa, and lentil salad, inspired by the Mediterranean Lentil Salad from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home (Moosewood Collective, 1994).
The inspiration recipe is, as one would imagine, composed of lentils as the base, with sun-dried tomato, onion, bell pepper, and a simple dressing for color and flavor. My adapted and expanded version included sun-dried and slow-roasted tomatoes, roasted bell pepper, brown rice, and quinoa. For the dressing, I replaced red wine vinegar with rice vinegar, dijon mustard with whole grain, and added lemon zest and juice. Savory, tangy, and a bit sweet, the salad appeared to be a success.

5 comments:

  1. I love quinoa salads. I normally add tons of curry powder to mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grain and pulse salads like this are so underused, aren't they? I love them and want to eat them all winter! Adding roasted tomatoes sounds super amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I can't recall how exactly I adapted the recipe, but the inspiration/original is available in the Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. :)